Thursday 12 November 2009

Previous dating disasters - The Hockey player instalment No 2

Shocking that I'm even on a date number 2 with Mike, seeing as things didn't really going all that smoothly first time round.

We drive a good few miles out of the city to a beautiful village restaurant situated by the riverside.
According to him its a family favorite (his family being quite well off and favouring classy and beautiful restaurants, my family favouring McDonald's, Fish and Chips, Indian etc) And to be honest I'm quite impressed.

We are handed our menu's, i get to choose the wine, which they also let me taste before i buy, something I'm really not used to. Happily chatting away, not really reading the menu when the waitress comes over and holds out what appears to be a basket of assorted breads. I stare at her for what feels like an hour, then slowly turn to Mike and say "What do i do with it?"

Everyone around me is rather amused obviously. To this day i still cant grasp the concept of bread and oil pre dinner.

Once we've ordered and i see that he has decided to order oysters while i was off at the ladies. Never tried them, Never really heard much about them so i just went for it.

For the next 5 Minutes i sat there, oyster on tongue making "mmm mm MMMMMMmmm" noises, thinking that Mike may offer a little assistance seeing as i couldn't bring myself to swallow the thing, and being a post restaurant they only had very VERY posh looking cloth napkins available. Realising that if i don't do something now i might throw up, i run outside and spit it out onto the pavement much to the disgust of other customers.

I'd like to say this is where my story ends but oh no. Not by a long shot.

After near downing a glass of wine our main course arrives. And there sits in front of me and entire Fish. Eyes, Bones, Scales, you name a Fish part and it was there, looking up at me sorrowfully from my plate.

Me- "oh my god, you brought me a whole fish?"

Mike - "What did you expect?"

Me - "Something a little more battered, a little less looking at me with its eye!"

I didn't end up eating alot of the fish, or alot of my dinner after the Oyster incident anyway. I think i may have ended up consuming more bone than anything. To top it all off on the way out we hear the waitresses gossiping about how uncultured i apparently am and having a good old laugh at my expense.

I haven't been back there to this day. But STILL managed to get a date number 3 out of it all.

Ani x

5 comments:

  1. God, I can't wait to hear about No.3...I feel as though I have found a female blogging version of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be patient my friend. I~'m looking forward to your next blog too, and I dont know how much longer i can wait!!

    Thats so nice to hear. I am the Yang to your Yin :)

    Ani x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha...cause guys know that you ladies love to consume a whole fish in front of them like a hungry bear...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, that sounds like a great date to me!

    Well, the way I read it, I like the guy's generosity and levity when it comes to your lack of accustom to fine-dining. Damn the oil, the bread, the weird oysters, and the boney fish.

    Michael.
    Do you hate it too?
    "If you're going through Hell, keep going."

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's crazy! I love it though! I think we'd fit it well together at a ball! I'm a Marine Corps wife and I have had several of those dinners, but with my husbands bosses watching me. I'm just a country bumkin from GA, not high heels and escargo material really lol. It gets better with practice though :-)

    ReplyDelete